Sunday, November 24, 2013

Re: "Princessist" by Belle - Tiana

Dear Belle,



I am Tiana, glad to have a chance to talk to you finally cuz I didn't really got much time to talk to you before. I am reading the post you wrote about Alice Walker's Womanist and your own term "Princessist". I am very very impressed with such a blogpost! It is very fantastic!

As you know - I turned into a frog for 2 days... /: ew...well it wasn't any cool but I really understand what is it mean by considering living things as a human being form and how is animals like to live in this world.

That night I was talking to Ray, I was telling him how I think animals are not having the race problem as human does, yes I am black - and I am actually the first black princess and the first princess who loves gumbo and jazz. It is not that I am from New Orleans so that I knows everything. No but until that I turned into a frog, I know how it is like to be animals.

There are rumors going 'round me about being the first black princess in Disney and yet this is controversial, but what we love to do is just putting things together and try to understand how r different people being set on earth. In people, there is race but in animals, there's none! Well all frogs are green...haha! I read lots of articles yes and these are and I have something to say about them:

Sweetheart I know I don't like challenging your points and - I'm not actually. But this is what I think - NO ONE IS BEING RACIST HERE! Personally I don't like the term "racist", what does that mean? Well I cares more on why does people think someone is "racist" more than really the idea of "racist" really! Why do I think that? Well a story does have a reason and it has a significance on the setting of a story (I do literature too but not as professional as you) well but - the part I underlined - if you say so then why don't you consider that the core of the story but not how is the story set. Something a bit more complicated here: when you say something is being racist you are also the racist one because you think the message conveyed related to the certain kind of race does possess the conveyed message - which consist discrimination. For example, you say the story set in the New Orleans and it is one of the most devastating tragedies to beset a black community, well what is mean by tragedies? I just don't get why they are saying this - they got nothing to justify to that anyways. This whole thing, well who said this created that image. We people in New Orleans has their own way of thinking and our own ways of living, everyone is here different but one thing we know - we made gumbo and everyone gather around our house and taste that. The message about race is very simply the understanding by themselves, there is no specifically criticisms and depiction of the black society but actually what is focused the most is the dream, family, animal world and love. It we are spending more time watching frogs we will spent less time watching the blacks! Well but something I'm very sure - no one else really do knows everything about the jazz music in New Orleans! Well Louis perhaps (btw some said Louis is created, sharing the first name of the famous musician Louis Armstrong and that reflects more of the idea related to racism but I don't think so!) but I do believe music is another way of understanding of humanity and the understanding of life. And it belongs to my circle.

When I see this paragraph, my first reaction was "WHY?" ok I have no idea what does it mean that I was originally called something something thus much like something something thus racist. Like I mentioned before about Louis, I don't care very much what is originally created before a final creation is produced. Hey come on, this is just one of the making process and I don't care what "Tiana" is the original name in the story "The  
Frog Princess" and even though what Disney was originally done to me it doesn't matters anymore, everything must gone through a process before it is created. But reading these criticisms what makes me feel like is the real "racist" one are them but not how disney made me! And back to that everything has it's own creating process and every thoughts counts and even in making something else the stereotypes made is processing in between, there is no way judging back I think! Umm pointless. 

Personally I am kinda confused when people are simply concerning on race and gender role, well no...they just can't see it deeper. If you say someone creates some ideas or image for you which causes your emotions and your thoughts to something else or creating an image to children - as said before but I never understand how does a particular image is going to form in everyone's mind. Let's say you get this picture, but I do not get the same message/ picture as everyone does.
In some points you may be criticising me and disney creation but I am criticising your critique as the person involved, because it just sounds...SHALLOW! The whole thing is already not focusing on racial difference or what already, it has nothing to say about this already. If that almost everyone are saying how pointlessly you are paying to see a...FROG...then you don't you just try to change your focus, it is not that there are subconscious but is the audience who is watching it subconsciously shaping themselves... or that try to look at my gumbo, why can't this be the focus though, I believe no one else has a better one...haha just kidding. But really you should try it *wink*!
Well I can't write a really good critique and I'm not a good writer like you, but I do make good gumbo soup and I have good taste of jazz! But thanks for reading this!


Bests,
Tiana



   

12 comments:

  1. Oh my god..is the people who are criticizing you being racist going to the wrong focus of the movie. I know someone may say creation is important but it is so nice that you appreciate your own story. Well I don't really but as the princess in the story I know what is the focus and how people thinks about women in my story and that is why I am saying that it shouldn't have the type of "Maiden in the towel"

    ReplyDelete
  2. People out there are so ridiculous...yes they are just focusing how human thinks about human and how does a group of people like and they eventually creates a picture in their own mind and saying how the people of a different race or of their race is being misunderstood.

    Last night I was reading something too and your post reminds me of what I think - it's not me but it was saying "Says you are the love of his life...forgets what you look like and has to put a shoe on every girl in the kingdom" so here is saying what does it really mean by "the love of sb's life". The reason why people are thinking in this way - well what I think is, they are thinking: disney are describing how women are being that worthless so not even then men needs to remember how they looks like = evokes women is only for men's pleasure and not even your image is going to stay in their mind = men power dominating.

    But another way for me thinking how the story needs to create a glass slipper (and also people criticising disney's logic: the glass slipper won't turn into the original broken shoes and like how it satires the insignificance of the glass slipper) the reason why I think the story gives a plot on fitting the shoes to every girl is that 1. It makes the story more interesting 2. makes Cinderella a more remarkable girl. But more 3. The Cinderella Story from Charles Perrault is called "The Little Glass Slipper" and that in the movie, Anastasia & Drizella both couldn't fit the shoe. I think this is a symbolism of beauty and perfect and the everlasting. So that when I was knowing how that symbolises the price and value of women being known to have "the perfect fit", thats what matters.

    What the shallow people was just misunderstanding it - whoop long comment here haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, Tian, I get that feeling too you know right about the poison apple

      Delete
    2. And then there was a picture saying "finds a random corpse in the woods, kisses it...aaaaand that tells you everything you need to know about men"...well I...really don't know what to say

      Delete
    3. Ewwwww some people are so...touchy...

      Delete
    4. (not talking about you guys don't worry)

      Delete
    5. Jasmine!!!! What do you want to say...

      Delete
    6. I'm saying the people who are feeling uncomfortable with the tales are too sensitive

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. sometimes u guys are going too far and I just can't get that

      Delete
  4. Dear Tian,
    Thank you for writing a post replying my post about "princessist" - thought you r being so busy I know. You have reminded and letting me know a lot ot things that I have never thought of and also something more about "womanism", as known you are a black woman, I am treasuring your opinions!! Haha nice to have you here! And yes your gumbo is the best ever
    Belle

    ReplyDelete